Neck and Shoulder Pain Overview
The shoulders support the neck through bones, muscles, arteries and veins, nerves, ligaments etc. That is why; it is seen, most of the time that pain in the shoulders gradually results in a pain in the neck and wise versa. Some conditions that result in shoulder and neck pain may turn out to be life threatening such as heat diseases, while others may turn out to be inconsequential such as simple sprains, strains, or contusions.
Some of these pain conditions can turn out to be chronic. However, if you pay proper attention to your pain it is easily manageable. Instead of performing the exercises for a limited period of time, in case of chronic pains, you will have to treat them as a daily routine for a greater part of your life.
Causes for Shoulder And Neck Pain
Either or all of the following conditions can cause shoulder and neck pains:
- Whiplash – Injury to surrounding tissues such as tendons, ligaments, muscles etc.
- Pinched nerves
- Abnormal conditions of the spinal cord, heart and/or lungs
- Damaged or broken collarbone
- Injuries to the rotator cuff
- Inflammation of the diaphragm can cause shoulder pains; etc.
The symptoms include weakness, pain, numbness, coolness, swelling, color changes and/or deformity.
The following methods can be used to treat the shoulder and/or neck pain:
- Ice packs – put ice pack on the affected areas, but only in case of acute strains.
- Heat – heat or warm the affected area through heating pads or hot water bottles for 15 to 20 minutes; in case of chronic strains.
- Use a cervical pillow
- Reduce stress
- Avoid bad postures
Exercises For Shoulder And Neck Pain Relief
Shoulder Pain Relief
- Range of motion exercise
- Rotator cuff strengthening
- Upper extremity strengthening
Neck Pain Relief
- Side stretches
- Chin tuck
- Turning exercises